"It is what it is."
- Robert Desrosiers
I am an Interaction Designer and Unity3D Developer based in Houston, TX who enjoys working on lively and colorful projects!
I'm currently aiming to work on smartphone apps, downloadable software, and games available on mobile, PC and on home consoles. By working on projects like these, I'd like to better understand how Interaction Design fits among other disciplines within the production pipeline. I also have a preference towards UX research and design, though I like to practice UI art and programming on the side.
During my childhood I played games like Pokémon, MapleStory, Crazy Arcade, Kingdom Hearts-- games with a design that would've fallen apart without working together with others (except for Halo 2 which is fun in its own right). The team-driven design of those games (and similarly-designed games in recent years) inspire me to craft similar experiences for future generations, and the spirit of those designs are encourage me to help out my peers as well.
Lastly, I enjoy game jams in my spare time! You can also find me promoting creators and advocating for inclusiveness, transparency, and accessibility on Twitter.
- UX Design - Axure, Adobe XD & After Effects, Unity (UI), Android Studio.
- Graphics - Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Autodesk Maya, Krita, Aseprite.
- Game Dev - Unity3D/2D, GameMaker: Studio, Unreal Engine.
- Code - MS Visual Studio, Notepad++, Github (Git), SourceTree (Git/Mercurial).
- Production - Google Suite, MS Office, Airtable, Trello, Asana, Workrave.
- Communication - Hangouts, Slack, Discord, Skype, TeamViewer.
- Video - OBS Studio, Adobe Premiere Pro, VLC Media Player, Handbrake, Audacity.
- Web Design - Wordpress, SquareSpace, Adobe Muse.
- Unity C# (Primary)
- HTML (Basic)
- CSS (Basic)
- English (Primary)
- Korean [Hangul] (Basic Speech, Reading, & Writing)
In A Nutshell, Et Cetera, And so on: A History
- Asset Project --- Unity3D Accessibility Pack, Aug 2018 - Present.
- Membership --- International Game Developers Association, July 2018.
- Software Project --- Joybloc, UX Design side project, June 2018 - Present.
- Freelance --- Became available for contract work and full-time employment as a UX Designer and/or a Unity3D Developer, May 2018 - Present.
- Website --- Designed new portfolio for UX and Game Dev, May 2018 - Present.
- Membership --- Interaction Design Foundation, Apr 2018.
- Game Jam --- Finished prototype solo in a game jam for the first time for Ludum Dare 41's Catchcard Ranger, Apr 2018.
- Game Project --- Submitted Faux Fliers prototype (Breaker Breaker overhaul) to NYU Game Center Incubator [Round 1 & 2], Jan 2018 - Apr 2018.
- Certification --- Unity Developer, Dec 2017.
- Volunteer --- Raised $10,581 for the Hurricane Relief Bundle, Aug 2017 - Sept 2017.
- Game Jam --- Finished complete design within time limit in a game jam for the first time for Ludum Dare 39's Breaker Breaker, July 2017.
- Volunteer --- Indie MEGASHOW in Atlanta, GA, July 2017.
- Game Project --- Goldman (cancelled YouTube IP), May 2017 - July 2017.
- Game Project --- Partial (postponed IP), Sept 2016 - Jan 2017.
- Founding --- Team Giga as Sole Proprietor, Sept 2016 - Apr 2018.
- Self-Taught --- Unity3D game engine, June 2016.
- Software Project --- Developed my first programmed project, Conception, Feb 2016.
- Self-Taught / Game Jam --- GameMaker: Studio for Global Game Jam, Jan 2016.
- Website --- Made Deroro.com (game design blog) to document one game prototype a week, Jan 2016 - May 2016.
2012 - 2015
- Transition --- Moved to High Point, NC for financial stability, Jan 2016.
- Game Jam --- Made art for Ludum Dare 34's Lighthearted (first game jam submission), Dec 2015.
- Self-Taught --- Unreal Engine, June 2015 - July 2015.
- Project --- Conception card prototype based on Game Dev Tycoon, May 2015.
- Self-Taught --- Game design via Game Design Concepts, Mar 2015 - May 2015.
- Self-Taught --- HTML/CSS via Khan Academy, Jan 2015 - Mar 2015.
- College --- Attended Houston Community College, Jan 2014 - Dec 2014.
- College --- Attended University of Houston, Aug 2012 - May 2013.
- Diploma --- Graduated from Hightower High School, June 2012.
A Special Thanks--
To My Mentors
Rob Hassett, who saw potential in a young game developer.
Jessica Hayley, a talented programmer who's there when I'm breaking everything.
Celia Hodent, who provided a learning option in a new field of pursuit.
Mike Mariano, who lent a hand when it came to learning about UX in games.
Lee Morin, whose legal workshop was the first conference session I ever attended.
Ian Schreiber, whose online content gave me a starting point in game design.
Alex Yaeger, who drops in-depth knowledge bombs on UX in a game dev context.
To My Peers
Crysi-Jean Bamberger, a supportive friend since the heyday of dA.
Quinten Bolden, a close friend who taught me how to cook chicken.
Max Emerick, who helped build my first video game ever.
Nick Reineke, who gave me an opportunity when I found myself at a loss.
Martin Reyes, a solid dev who's taught me much about teamwork and support.
Michy Soong, a colorful artist who helped bring my first passion project to life.
To My Fam
Celesté, who pushes me to be a better version of myself every day.
Kevin, the best friend a guy can ever have.
Mom, for putting up with my bullshit.
Dad, for being my biggest supporter in my creative endeavors.
Karen, my badass sis working her way into forensics.